Westmorland and Furness Council is a new unitary council formed on 01 April 2023 with an ambition for sustainable and inclusive growth and a commitment to make Westmorland and Furness a great place to live, work and thrive. This is an exciting and unique opportunity to assist in the delivery of a new Fleet Services Team for the Council
The Fleet Services Team undertakes an essential role to ensure a safe and legal operation of the Council’s fleet and the workforce driving on behalf of the organisation. This assists in ensuring that the Council is able to fulfil its legal and moral obligations with respect to the provision of a wide range of statutory services.
The Team is responsible for a mixed fleet including waste and recycling, street scene, pool cars, gritters, tipper trucks, coaches, minibuses, library vans and fire appliances. The Team also maintains in excess of 1,000 items of plant including trailers, mowers and other power tools. The Team is also responsible for the provision of a fleet management service including the procurement of bulk fuel, fuel cards, the provision of vehicle telematics, administration of the pool cars scheme, vehicle insurance and taxing and support with procurement exercises. In addition, the Team fulfils a fleet compliance function to ensure that the Council’s vehicles and drivers are compliant with the relevant legislation and guidance.
Who we are looking for
The successful candidate for this post will be tasked to:
- Lead and manage the Council’s fleet maintenance functions including fleet maintenance, fleet strategy, fleet replacement programme, procurement and transport resources including improving the provision for internal and external customers.
- Ensure that the Council delivers its aspirations for the decarbonisation of its fleet while ensuring continued service delivery within the budget parameters.
- Work with key services to ensure the compliance with all fleet maintenance functions, including vehicle and workforce safety, to ensure that the requirements of the relevant regulator are adhered to.
- Fulfil the Lead Support role for the Team’s interaction with Cumbria Transport Operational Team plus associated service areas.
- Take an active role in supporting the Fleet Manager in the drive for transformation and associated change across the Service.
For an informal discussion regarding this opportunity please contact Austin Shields, Senior Manager – Sustainable Transport, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 07974 327131.
What can we offer you!
Excellent training and development
Flexible working opportunities
Opportunity to join the Local Government Pension Scheme
Boost your pension with Shared Cost Additional Voluntary Contributions (facilitated by AVC Wise)
Various perks and discounts schemes, including money off your phone contract and local gyms
Competitive rates of pay
Please read the Supporting Information:
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.