The Highway Professional Services Team provide design and management services for delivery of a wide range of Highway schemes including maintenance, improvements, structures, land reclamation, and major projects.
This position provides an exciting opportunity to shape how Derbyshire’s highway network is managed and developed in the future, as part of the Council’s Highways Transformation programme.
You will be joining a team of technicians and engineers, together with graduates and apprentices, who will be keen for your guidance and support to facilitate their continued develpment.
What projects will I be involved with?
- Strategic and operational leadership of the Design Service
- Provide advice and guidance to a range of services across the council including planning and regeneration.
- Assist in the delivery of the Highways Transformation Programme
- Development and management of a Performance Framework to demonstrate continuous improvement and Value for Money
What skills and experience do I need to have?
- An appropriate professional/technical qualification in the Highways discipline with considerable post qualification experience e.g. Chartered Engineer or equivalent.
- Substantial senior level managerial experience in a directly related field.
- Proven experience of the delivery of major highways projects covering at least two of; roads, structures and land remediation/reclamation.
- Budget management including financial forecasting
- Working effectively with external consultancies, contractors and partners
- Experience of working in a political environment.
These lists are not exhaustive, take a look at our comprehensive job profile for more detail (this role is known internally as Head of Highways Design).
You will work closely with other Services within the Highways Division to continually develop service improvement and efficiencies whilst embracing new technologies and best working practices.
We offer a friendly and supportive working environment, a variety of Derbyshire based work, flexible working hours and the opportunity to develop yourself and your career.
Would you like to know what it’s like to be part of our Highways Design team? You can see what our team have to say here.
What we offer you:
- Defined Benefit Local Government Pension Scheme
- 34 days of annual leave plus another 5 once you reach 5 years of continuous service
- Flexi time, allowing up to an additional 2 days of leave per month
- Occupational Health service
- Physiotherapy Service
- An in-house counselling service
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discount on leisure centre memberships
- And much more.
Our Professional Services Team is based in Darley Dale, Derbyshire, but as part of our Modern Ways of Working programme we are currently working on a hybrid basis. As we now start our return to work in an office environment there will be an opportunity to discuss future working arrangements at the interview.
Job and Person Profile
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.