Legal Policy Adviser
The Legal Policy Adviser provides policy development expertise and legal advice in support of the Government’s Legislation Programme. The post was recently established to strengthen the essential link between policy development and legislative change, so provides an opportunity to shape the direction of this critical work in the Falkland Islands
There is a pressing need for public policy development to underpin legislation in the Falkland Islands. Policy development resources are limited to a small dedicated Government Policy Team. You would work closely with the Policy Team, but would be based in the Law and Regulation Directorate. Your main duties would include:
- Working with colleagues across the Falkland Islands Government to provide expert advice, including legal advice; to facilitate the development of Government policy on a diverse range of subjects (for example; the environment, maritime industries, health and education)
- Providing advice and guidance in any matter requiring a change in the law (primary and secondary legislation); in particular to provide support for the development of high quality legislative drafting instructions
- Planning and conducting research and analysis in support of new policy development, which may include complex or novel legal questions.
- A solicitor or barrister (admitted UK/Ireland/Commonwealth) with at least five years’ post-qualification experience;
- At least 5 years’ successful public sector policy experience
- Experience of developing high quality policies
- Proven project management skills
- You must be an effective and responsible team member with the skills and motivation needed to work in a new and sometimes challenging environment
- Fixed Term Contract, up to 4 years.
- Starting Salary £43,646 - £50,084 (depending on qualifications and experience) rising to £59,034 for exceptional candidates.
- Eligibility for a 25% gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract
- 30 days annual leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave)
- Relocation allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract
- Government housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can download the job description and view further information from our online vacancy page.
For further information regarding the position please contact Ros Cheek, Head of Legislation, by emailing email@example.com or by calling (+500) 28467.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8,000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore. For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.
Further information on this vacancy
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.
More searches like this
- Corporate Services Manager £50,000 - £59,999 Full time jobs in Falkland Islands
- Corporate Management Team Manager £50,000 - £59,999 Full time jobs in Falkland Islands
- Legal Manager £50,000 - £59,999 Full time jobs in Falkland Islands
- Policy Manager £50,000 - £59,999 Full time jobs in Falkland Islands