We will review applications every two weeks until this role is filled.
As part of our Product team in Digital and Customer Services, you’ll take a key role in the product design community across Royal Borough of Greenwich, working through the entire product lifecycle of discovery, alpha, beta and live. You will identify product opportunities, contribute to product strategy and proposition, design end-to-end experiences and build living ‘product eco-system’.
You’ll be welcomed into a thriving, exciting in-house product team, alongside other product designers, developers, user researchers, service designers, content designers, business analysts and product managers.
You’ll work closely with other council teams who want to improve their services, listening to their needs and balancing them with business and technical constraints.
You’ll speak up for our users, whether they are residents or staff, and use data and research to make sure our products and services meet their needs.
You’ll report to a lead or senior product designer and play an active role in the development of our product management community of practice.
For the full job responsibilities, please refer to the attached Job Description.
Who are we looking for?
You’ll care deeply about user needs, building sustainable products.
You’ll be a kind and curious person whose focus is always on the user and who is impact driven.
You’ll be passionate about turning product strategy into useful, accessible and delightful products through continuous learning and prototyping.
You’ll have a system view when it comes to architecting and designing the product. You’ll have some understanding of cohesive design system and accessibility.
You are open-minded and love working in a team.
Most importantly you are up for the challenge to make public service better and growing your career with us at Royal Greenwich.
We’re building a team where everyone feels safe to be who they are. We value empathy, open mindedness and a real passion for our mission. We are a new team, so there’s plenty of scope for having your say!
What your day-to-day responsibilities will look like
- Design and develop digital products and components to enable service delivery across the councils.
- Identify design patterns and create reusable 'design system’ to tackle common problems and increase consistency of product delivery.
- Be the advocate on behalf of users, making sure that prototypes and products are designed to meet their needs and deliver the best possible user experience.
- Help people see their services through a people lens with a design state of mind, helping them to identify product opportunities within existing technology eco-system.
- Act as an ambassador for product thinking and agile ways of working to help stakeholders to reimagine their service through modern products and technology.
- Define success measures, test ideas quickly through prototyping and embed a learning culture.
- Create clear and consistent guide to ensure Royal Greenwich’s products are simple, accessible, cost effective and scalable
- Be a critical member of the product design community of practice and help its ongoing growth.
- Actively look for opportunities to improve the internal processes of knowledge management, learning and development, getting feedback, running design critique and meetings, etc.
- Work with senior leaders across the council to help them understand service design, helping them see what’s possible.
Why join Royal Greenwich
Royal Greenwich is a vibrant borough, with a rich history and diverse community. We’re proud of the work we do to serve our residents.
We have a vision of a happier, healthier and more connected borough. To achieve this, we’re investing heavily in our digital services and we've published our first ever digital strategy. It's what shapes what we're working on for the next four years and beyond.
It’s an exciting time to join us. We're searching for people-focused digital experts to join our new team. We’re focused on improving services for our residents and making our borough truly digital. There's plenty of opportunity for you to have your say and help shape our work.
We work in self-organising teams with colleagues from across the digital team and across the council, including:
- Product managers
- Delivery managers
- Service Designers
- Business Analysts
- User Researchers
- Content Designers
- Product Designers
- Business Analyst
- Subject matter experts from service teams
Who we are
Our values are at the heart of all the work we do:
· improving residents’ lives and opportunities
· demonstrating respect and fairness
· taking ownership
· doing things better
· working together across the council
These values are incredibly important to us, so you’ll be in an environment that promotes knowledge, empathy, equality and skill sharing.
What we offer
· 28 days’ annual leave
· Flexible and partly remote working arrangements
· Mental health support, including an external counselling service
· Pension scheme
· Long service awards
· Learning and development opportunities, including apprenticeships
· Staff networks for mental health, LGBTQ+ support, racial equality and more
· Vouchers for free eye tests
· Annual season ticket loans
· Childcare voucher scheme
· Reduced-rate gym membership
· Cycle to work scheme
· Greenwich One Card which entitles you to discounts at local businesses
If you’d like an informal chat about the role, you can speak to Lingjing Yin (Head of Product) or another member of the team by emailing Lingjing.Yin@royalgreenwich.gov.uk
- Job Description and Person Specification
File size: 104.07 KB
- Staff Values - Job Documentation
File size: 349.49 KB
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.