Head of Public Transport
This is an exciting opportunity as Head of Public Transport to lead the delivery of high-quality public transport in Buckinghamshire, working closely with commercial bus operators to shape the bus network to meet the challenges of the National Bus Strategy and our carbon reduction aims.
You will be responsible for the planning and development of future public and community transport services, bus infrastructure and lead our Public Transport, Fleet Management and Sustainable Travel Teams. You will also oversee the implementation of two exciting new Demand Responsive Transport schemes starting in 2022.
The successful Head of Public Transport will be a key member of the Transport Services senior management team, supporting the Service Director to drive business improvements and meet the challenges of our climate change agenda. The Transport Services Department also delivers all of our school and social care transport and you will work closely with colleagues to support rural accessibility and provide viable and attractive alternatives to car use.
Our office-based roles work flexibly, with 2 days per week in the office and the remainder homeworking. Your office base will be at our Walton Street Offices, Aylesbury and you will also need to travel around the county for some meetings and site visits. We have a good technology platform using Microsoft Teams enabling you to connect and collaborate remotely. We ask that you have in place good Broadband connectivity.
About the role
The public transport sector is facing many new challenges and this is an exciting opportunity for someone with a passion for developing, improving and delivering services for the benefit of our residents.
To be successful you should hold a relevant qualification or have proven experience at a senior level in a transport service or related environment, with recent experience in managing staff and budgets. You will have comprehensive knowledge of the legal and operational framework of local bus service legislation, Concessionary Travel Schemes and current issues including Enhanced Bus Partnerships and the National Bus Strategy. You will need excellent communication and interpersonal skills combined with technical knowledge, commercial acumen and sound financial management.
You will lead our Public Transport, Fleet Management and Sustainable Travel teams, supporting the Service Director to deliver our Service Plan and work with partners to improve sustainable travel across Buckinghamshire. This will include managing the tendered bus network, developing community transport and delivering sustainable transport solutions for new developments.
The starting salary for this role is £56,567.
As an 'any-desk' worker, you'll need to be connected to our network to access digital folders and resources, but this can either be from home or an office location when required. You will be required to work from the office a couple of times a week, depending on your role and team requirements*.
*subject to current Government Covid-19 Guidance
The ideal Head of Public Transport will have experience of:
- Qualification to degree level or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- Proven experience operating at a senior level in a transport service or related environment, with experience in managing staff and budgets.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to build relationships and influence others.
- Sound knowledge of strategic forward planning, policy development and performance management.
- Experience in a public transport operational or transport planning role, working at a high level in commissioning and delivering public transport services.
- Knowledge of national policies & legislation covering public transport, including an understanding of the requirements of the National Bus Strategy and the legislation and guidance for Enhanced Partnerships.
For full details please see the attached job summary.
The closing date for applications is 23.00 on Sunday 15th May 2022
Interviews will take place via video technology; candidates will also be asked to complete a desktop exercise.
For an informal chat about this role in more detail, please contact Sara Turnbull, Transport Services Director on 01296 382876.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy once we have received sufficient applications, so please be advised to submit your application as early as possible.
We recognise and reward you
Hard work and success deserves recognition. That's why we pride ourselves on the benefits we give our people. We actively encourage a good work-life balance and promote flexible and agile working arrangements. We provide discounts on various Cafés, restaurants, shops and auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme. We also offer a salary sacrifice personal car lease scheme and the opportunity to gain membership to Costco. We have discounted gym memberships, Travel discounts with Arriva and Chiltern Railways and much more.
More searches like this
- Corporate Services Head of Service £50,000 - £59,999 Full time jobs in Buckinghamshire
- Corporate Management Team Head of Service £50,000 - £59,999 Full time jobs in Buckinghamshire
- Environment Head of Service £50,000 - £59,999 Full time jobs in Buckinghamshire
- Transport Planning Head of Service £50,000 - £59,999 Full time jobs in Buckinghamshire