Assistant Director, Economic Development
We are seeking an experienced and committed Assistant Director to lead our Economic Development Service and join us in making Hammersmith & Fulham the best place to do business in Europe and to ensure that everyone benefits, not just a favoured few.
This is an exceptional chance to build a globally competitive economic ecosystem with all our communities integral to it. You will make a significant contribution to the regeneration of the borough through the strategic management of service provision to ensure the effective delivery of Hammersmith & Fulham’s Industrial Strategy, Employment and Skills and Business and Enterprise initiatives. In addition, providing strategic oversight of the Adult Learning Service and Arts and Cultural Programmes in the Borough.
Key role duties include:
- Taking the lead in ensuring that the Economic Development Service has clear strategic direction with coherence between its various functions and responsibilities.
- Overall responsibility for producing the service plan(s) for the Economic Development Service and monitoring its delivery to align with both corporate and departmental aims and priorities.
- Overall responsibility to establish, develop and keep under review the structures, procedures and working methods for the Economic Development Service to ensure an integrated, effective and efficient approach to the delivery of services, maximising new technology.
- Overall responsibility to ensure that staff in the Economic Development Service are recruited, managed, appraised and developed, and that effective arrangements are made for their training and development.
- Strategic lead across the council on the design, delivery and implementation of the Council’s Industrial Strategy working collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders (internal and external).
- Working across council directorates to ensure delivery of the core priorities of the Industrial Oversee the strategic management of the Council’s Employment and Skills and Business and Enterprise initiatives, Adult Learning Service and Arts and Cultural Programmes in the Borough and related services.
- Working with leaders and Chief Executives on sub-regional and London wide agendas, acting as lead representative for the borough.
- Management of Upstream joint venture with Imperial College.
- Overall responsibility for setting the Economic Development Service budget.
- Taking individual and collective professional responsibility for championing the Council's diversity agenda, proactively implementing initiatives which secure equality of access and outcomes and commit to continually developing personal understanding of diversity.
What you'll need to be successful:
- Comprehensive understanding of local, London-wide, national and international economic trends and Economic Development policy issues, including synergies with place-making, arts and culture.
- Substantial management experience at service or equivalent level within Economic Development with demonstrable success at delivering customer focused services and service improvements.
- Comprehensive understanding of current operational issues & developments affecting Economic Development & local government.
- Comprehensive understanding of Economic Development related legislation including local government legislation.
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to Council policies in relation to Equal Opportunity, Customer Care and service delivery.
- To be able to demonstrate a sound understanding of the national & local political priorities for the service & the organisation as a whole.
- Track record of achievement at service head level or above in a similarly large and complex organisation.
If this sounds like you, we very much look forward to receiving your application.
For a confidential discussion about the role please contact our retained consultants at Faerfield:
Tel: 0121 312 3755
Tel: 0121 312 3755
Tel: 0121 312 3755
To apply for this role please click the Apply Now link below.