Highway Asset Manager
We are seeking an exceptional Highway Asset Manager to join our Highways & Engineering Service to help manage the continuous improvement of our highway and drainage asset, which includes strategic maintenance, highway asset status, enforcement and overseeing the discharging our responsibilities as Lead Local Flood Authority. This is a permanent role to be based in heart of Barnsley at our Smithies Lane Depot site. In return, you will receive a competitive salary of £43,857 - £46,845 per annum.
Barnsley is changing, with a new Corporate Plan and a bold vision for Barnsley in 2030 as a place of possibilities. At its heart is a commitment to concentrate on providing services where they’re most needed, where they’ll have the most impact and to help people do more for each other and their community.
As our Highway Asset Manager you will provide leadership and operational management of the Highway Network, development of strategies to improve delivery in relation to the relevant service to ensure the Council's vision, priorities and values are actively promoted and delivered in line with the Council.
Responsibilities as our Highway Asset Manager:
- Provide strong leadership to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of technical asset management within the resources available, whilst ensuring continuous improvement of service delivery using LEAN principles, in line with corporate priorities, financial targets and budgetary constraints.
- Lead on the asset management of the Council’s highway network, providing strategic direction, leadership and management of workloads, support, guidance, assisting in the management of delivery, dealing with recruitment, motivation, training, development, welfare and discipline issues as appropriate.
- To represent the Authority as expert witness in court regarding claims for damages against BMBC as Highway Authority
- Provide professional advice, guidance and information in relation to highway asset management, Lead Local Flood Authority issues and statutory planning consultee
- Continuously promote a positive organisational culture whereby employee skills and knowledge are enhanced to provide an effective customer focused service working to achieve strategic aims and objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring the highway network is operating safely, identifying and communicating decisions regarding maintenance investment, taking into account asset condition and community priorities.
- Undertake site visits and surveys for feasibility investigations into complex schemes and network condition reports
What we’re looking for in our Highway Asset Manager:
- Relevant Level 7 qualification OR Extensive Equivalent Experience
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer
- Member of relevant professional Institution
- Willingness to undertake LEAN training
- Willingness to undertake the Council’s Leadership Programme
- Level 5 Management Qualification
- Confined Spaces Training
- Extensive experience of civil engineering and asset management
- Significant experience of project and programme management in a highways and engineering service area.
- Significant experience of establishing a positive performance culture
- Excellent knowledge and experience of budget management
- Substantial experience in the preparation and use of contract documentation
- Significant experience of the design and construction of civil engineering works
- Experience and understanding of the financial, legal and political workings of a large organisation providing clear, timely and professional advice to a wide range of stakeholders
- Willing to work flexibly in accordance with policies and procedures to meet the operational needs of the council
- Willing to undertake training and continuous professional development in connection with the post.
- Able to undertake any travel in connection with the post.
We live and work by our four values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service and taking pride in what we do. As part of our team, you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent because we prioritise learning and enabling staff to achieve their potential. That’s one of the reasons why we achieved IIP Gold and why you’ll find your career here, inspiring and rewarding. In addition, we have an attractive and competitive employee pay benefits programme in addition to the basic salary. We are committed to supporting the principles of equal pay and aim to eliminate inequalities in our pay systems through fair and transparent pay framework and reward strategy.
Closing date: 21/01/2022
We need a Highway Asset Manager who shares our enthusiasm and vision who can pull all this together and make this happen – is that you? Then we’d like to hear from you!
More searches like this
- Corporate Services Manager £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Barnsley
- Corporate Management Team Manager £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Barnsley
- Environment Manager £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Barnsley
- Highways Manager £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Barnsley
- Traffic Management Manager £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Barnsley