Principal Engineer Road Safety
At Walsall Council, we believe that people are at the heart of everything we do. Enabling safe, sustainable and reliable journeys to work, education, healthcare, family and friends is essential to reducing inequality and maximising opportunities. The Walsall Road Safety Strategy outlines a clear road map to address road safety for all road users across Walsall and seeks to develop enhanced approaches to delivery. Investment in regeneration across Walsall and the Black Country presents exciting opportunities to increase safety for all road users taking a collaborative approach to the delivery of innovative and exciting projects. Now we invite you to join us on our journey.
Our team are instrumental in the successful delivery of highways and transport services in Walsall. We are looking to recruit a forward thinking and ambitious Principal Road Safety Engineer who can take a leading role at a local and regional level.
The successful applicant will play a key role in the implementation and management of revenue and capitally funded engineering schemes within Highways & Transport, reporting to the Road Safety Manager and working closely with regional colleagues from the Black Country Transport Team, Transport for West Midlands and other partners. Candidates will require essential design skills and ideally the ability to use AutoCAD and other relevant software.
The post holder will provide the lead specialist role with respect to:-
- Detail design of civil engineering schemes and preparation of detailed estimates of construction costs and to act as Engineer’s Representative or Project Manager for individual schemes as necessary.
- The implementation and management of revenue and capitally funded engineering schemes
- The project management and coordination of engineering works
- The appointment, control and supervision of contractors and consultants
- To advise internal and external stakeholders on engineering matters
- Assist the Team Manager in leading their respective function within the Highways & Transport Service and deputising as required.
- Represent the Council at internal and external meetings, groups and partnerships, ensuring that the Council priorities and position is truly represented, including securing the resources required to deliver its strategic responsibilities and projects.
- Professionally advise and make recommendations as required to Elected Members and senior officers at the highest levels to develop and foster agreement and support for Walsall’s aims, ambitions and priorities, seeking and securing their support as required.
- Contribute to the development of policies and programmes that deliver Walsall’s ambitions.
- To assist in the delivery of the Council’s statutory obligations as the highway authority.
- To ensure compliance with the relevant legislation as well as national standards and codes of practice.
This is a varied role with innovation and partnership working at its heart. We are looking for someone who has a strong road safety engineering background and the ability to both lead and work effectively with peers as part of a team. If you’re ready for your next challenge, we’re ready to hear from you!
Closing date: 16 January 2022.
This post is covered by the Government’s Code of Practice on the English Language Fluency Duty for public sector workers. The post holder will be required to communicate verbally with customers and provide advice and/or information in accurate spoken English.
More searches like this
- Corporate Services Engineer £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Walsall
- Corporate Management Team Engineer £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Walsall
- Environment Engineer £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Walsall
- Highways Engineer £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Walsall
- Streetscene Engineer £40,000 - £49,999 Full time jobs in Walsall