Assistant Chief Executive
A county of contrasts, West Sussex covers both coast and the South Downs National Park, encompassing harbours, farmland and market towns whilst being home to significant businesses and the UK’s second largest international airport. The county council is on an improvement journey and over the past year, we have supported people through the pandemic, made significant service improvements and developed our corporate infrastructure. Reporting to the Chief Executive and part of the Executive Leadership Team, this position will build on this progress, ensuring the centre of the organisation provides expert support to our service delivery teams and that we continue to place our residents, communities and businesses at the heart of everything we do.
To find out more about our services and what we do please visit our WSCC website.
About The Job
Salary: up to £125,000 per annum with relocation assistance
Working Pattern: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Location: County Hall, Chichester
Closing date: 30 August 2021
Technical interviews and shortlist meeting: week commencing 13 September 2021
Final interview panels: week commencing 18 October 2021
This is a new role, leading the development of a strategic function at the heart of the Council that brings together policy and change support, communications and performance into one team, enabling the organisation to deliver on the commitments set out in Our Council Plan.
You will lead and drive a culture of continuous improvement, creating successful relationships across the organisation and between the Council and its residents, stakeholders and partners.
It’s likely you’ll have a background in corporate strategy, working closely with senior decision makers and elected politicians. Your business planning skills will help to keep progress on track and the whole organisation to deliver better outcomes for our communities.
Experience and Skills
You will be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Experience at senior leadership level within a local authority, government department or agency with comparable: scope and ambition; complexity of responsibilities; political engagement, budget, and resources
- Successful track record in delivering change at scale within large, complex, customer-focused organisations
- Understanding of the unique communications challenges of large, complex public sector organisations
- Successful track record of providing advice, guidance, shaping, and supporting initiatives at a senior level and in a political environment
- Successful experience of building effective, productive, and collaborative working relationships, both internally and externally, with a diverse range of senior stakeholders including in a high-profile political environment
- Management qualification or willingness to attain one through our apprenticeship programme.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to 30 days annual leave and a generous pension scheme as an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is A000061.
For more information please click apply below or for a confidential conversation please call Jason Wheatley on 0203 667 1235, or Martin Tucker or Sarah Longbottom, both on 0121 312 3755.