An exciting time to join West Oxfordshire District Council!
West Oxfordshire District Council has set ambitious delivery targets through its reinvigorated Council Plans with a clear desire to recover the local community and economy from the Covid 19 pandemic. We need someone who can provide excellent support to the Council’s Chief Finance Officer and steer the budget and accounts closure processes. The role sits within Publica, which partners with WODC and other local Councils, and we need you to be part of the Finance leadership team, helping to shape our services and supporting their transformation as we work to deliver those plans
About the role…
You will act as a key interface to the Chief Finance Officer of West Oxfordshire District Council whilst also supporting other colleagues within the broader partnership. You will support the senior managers and budget holders in all aspects of financial management and offer financial guidance and advice, promoting financial understanding across Publica and our client organisations
The CFO is the Council’s S151 officer. You will act as their deputy and, in conjunction with them, be responsible for:
- Budget setting and monitoring including variance analysis and reporting
- Accounts closure and production, ensuring compliance with accounting standards and the CIPFA code and completion to meet statutory deadlines
- Audit liaison and management, a key point of contact for both external and internal audit
- Providing financial support, guidance and advice to senior officers and Councillors across a range of Council services
- Preparation of regular and ad hoc financial reports and review of reports with financial implications
- Development and drafting of key financial strategies
- Presentation of reports and information to Councillors and committees
- Assessment of projects and investments
- Monitoring and reporting of capital spend
- Government returns and reporting
You may also be responsible for managing a transactional financial service.
You will need…
- A relevant CCAB professional qualification
- Experience of working in accounting, preferably within a public sector setting and a multi stakeholder environment
- Good commercial acumen
- Ability to manage small projects and take part in larger ones, working to deadlines and tight timescales
- Proven experience in budget preparation, budget monitoring and financial reporting
- Excellent communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Competence in using a range of technology and software packages, including Microsoft and Google
- Experience of managing and directing staff
- Ability to travel
- BPSS security clearance
For more information about this role please see the Job Description/Person Specification.
If you wish to have an informal discussion about this role, please contact: Elizabeth Griffiths, Chief Finance Officer by email Elizabeth.Griffiths@westoxon.gov.uk
Please follow the link to see our great benefits: Benefits
Closing date for CV’s: Wednesday 14th April 2021 at midnight
Interview Date: W/c Monday 19th April 2021
You will be employed by Publica Group Ltd which was created by four partner Councils (West Oxfordshire District Council, Cotswold District Council, Cheltenham Borough Council and Forest of Dean District Council) to deliver more efficient and improved services.
Publica is a unique place to work – we are a local government organisation with a twist! Publica wants to transform the way local services are delivered.
If you feel this is the role for you please email your CV and supporting statement detailing how you meet the criteria above by clicking on the ‘Apply for this Position’ icon within this page. Alternatively, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the recruitment team on 01285 623079/70
Your application will not be considered if you have not provided a supporting statement, in addition to your CV.
Accredited of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies - Please state this within your covering statement or in a separate email.
Safer recruitment practices are applied to all job vacancies. Successful candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire; provide references; proof of identity; nationality and immigration status; three years’ employment or education history (if applicable) and, in some cases, verification of criminal record.