Permanent, Full Time
up to £58,752 per annum
Closing Date: 6th January 2021
Commissioning is a key function within Essex County Council, working across the system to improve outcomes for Essex residents and bring about significant change to manage future challenges. This role leverages expertise and capability to enable a more flexible and agile commissioning environment to succeed in delivering the organisation's strategic objectives.
This leader will work collaboratively, promoting long term thinking and innovation to foster the conditions in which outcomes can be delivered.
This role is primarily in the portfolios of the Children and Families and All Age Mental Health Team, focused on and responsible for leading and delivering a range of programmes, working collaboratively across the system, to support the delivery of Essex County Council's strategic objectives from within the Adults and Children and Families Strategic Commissioning and Policy Teams.
The role will lead on strategic engagement with stakeholders and external partners, exerting influence in a complex and political environment to achieve agreed outcomes, aligned to both corporate and functional strategic objectives.
- Drives commissioning programmes to meet priorities, as agreed with relevant Heads of Strategic Commissioning and Policy within Adults and Children and Families and, where appropriate, stakeholders and partners, ensuring plans are implemented with capability, ability and consistency to ensure outcomes are delivered, whilst ensuring value for money and sustainability.
- Work collaboratively across the system to achieve greater efficiency throughout the organisation to reflect local need and is evidence based to deliver the best overall outcome for the people of Essex, whilst protecting the Councils' interests.
- Accountable for providing support and influence to Heads of Strategic Commissioning and Policy, leading delivery across a portfolio of commissioning activity, to implement outcomes and solutions.
- Lead on the development and engagement of a broad portfolio of stakeholders, across Essex and the wider system in order to deliver collective outcomes.
- Accountable for ensuring proficient commissioning capability and capacity as part of the Adult and Children and Families Strategic Commissioning and Policy Teams to deliver specific programmed commissioning activity to improve outcomes.
- Leading on specific commissioning programmes and activities that will deliver the business plans and drive further continuous improvement to ensure high performing, sustainable and cost effective services or place shaping activities.
- Collaboratively co-produce design solutions, drawing on good data and insight, expertise methods and approaches from within the council, across Essex and nationally.
- Innovatively respond to new challenges and opportunities ensuring that risks are mitigated and managed, meeting all compliance with internal regulation.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent by experience.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant business, process or professional area.
- Evidence of ability to influence key decision makers with a clear understanding of the vision and strategy to inspire others.
- Knowledge and proficient experience of the commissioning cycle together with mastery of programme and project management.
- Curiosity and learning from other innovative and inspirational organisations, evidence of ability to create a compelling case for change.
- Experience of working within a political and complex environment, working effectively with a range of stakeholder and partner agencies at all levels.
- Evidence of creativity in delivering results and managing change alongside leadership capability.
- Evidence of commercial awareness and creativity in developing business opportunities.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits/
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please email or call us on 0333 013 5888. Lines are open Monday to Friday 08:30 - 16.30.