Senior Specialist Lawyers (Private Law/Personal Injury/Civil Litigation)
The Government Legal Department (GLD) is the largest provider of legal services across government, working with over 180 government departments and agencies. From roads to rivers, and health to human rights, our work is high profile, meaningful and touches on most aspects of public life.
The department has more than 12 client-facing advisory teams who provide legal advice on the development, design and implementation of government policies and decisions, draft secondary legislation and work with Parliamentary Counsel on primary legislation. Our cross-cutting expert service groups for Litigation, Employment and Commercial Law provide specialist legal services to a wide range of government departments and public bodies.
We have a substantial private law practice representing large Government Departments such as the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Defence. This means that that as a litigation lawyer you will conduct a wide range of often high profile cases. Our teams deal with high profile group actions, actions under ECHR, personal injury, clinical negligence, misfeasance in public office, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution and other claims. They also provide expert representation in relation to inquests and public inquiries and regularly litigate through the higher courts to the Supreme Court, offering you the opportunity to handle cases at the forefront of the developing law.
As a senior litigator, you’ll manage complex and varied caseloads within a supportive team environment, working alongside counsel from the Attorney General’s Panels. You will also play an important co-ordination role when litigation involves cross cutting legal issues for diverse Government Departments.
This is a Grade 6 Leadership role and you will be expected to not only manage your complex caseloads, but also provide strong professional leadership and development to your team of between 3 and 5 qualified Lawyers, in addition to a team of paralegal and litigation support staff.
What you’ll need:
- A sound understanding of private law, and the private law litigation process within the context of Government.
- Reliable legal judgment and appreciation of legal risk
- The ability to think strategically and creatively, see legal issues in their wider context and advise accordingly
- Sound analysis, using legal research to produce timely and fit for purpose advice.
- To be able to communicate with others in a clear, honest and enthusiastic way in order to build trust and explain complex issues in a way that is easy to understand
- Demonstrate positive customer service by understanding the complexity and diversity of customer needs and expectations.
Closing date: Tuesday 28th May at 12pm (Midday). Interviews will take place in June.
To find out more and to apply www.gov.uk/gls