Procurement Service Manager
In March 2018, Sandwell Council approved a new set of Procurement & Contract Procedure Rules which has transformed the way the council carries out its procurement activities. These changes aim to enable the council to achieve Sandwell’s Vision 2030 through efficient processes and empowered officers.
Following a fundamental restructure of Procurement Services, we are seeking a talented and dedicated individual to lead the corporate procurement function that is responsible for all procurement activity across the council (excluding social care and public health contracts) and the efficient processing of payments to suppliers. The role will build on the journey so far, and continue to transform the service to achieve Sandwell’s Vision 2030.
With substantial experience of successfully leading procurement in a complex and dynamic organisation, you’ll come to us with a relevant degree. Alternatively, you have a related professional or management qualification at post-graduate level. Beyond that, you’re a strong communicator, able to effectively negotiate with major suppliers and stakeholders at all levels. You also know how to lead new ways of working to create a culture change, and have up-to-date professional procurement knowledge – including current UK and EU procurement legislation. Additionally, you have a thorough understanding of the changing role of local authorities, the issues facing local government and the wider economy, and how this impacts procurement service areas.
The post holder will be responsible for:
• Providing specialist procurement and commercial advice to senior leadership and elected members that ensures compliance with legislation and appropriate decision making
• Leading the development and implementation of the Corporate Procurement Strategy that incorporates best procurement practice, embeds a commercial approach to procurement, and underpins the achievement of Sandwell’s Vision 2030
• Exploiting the opportunities arising from the West Midlands Combined Authority, Commonwealth Games 2022, Public Services (Social Value) Act, and stronger partnership working across the region and beyond to get the maximum benefit for Sandwell
• Working with colleagues across the council on the inclusive growth agenda, maximising the opportunities for local businesses to benefit from local, regional and national procurement activities
• Building, motivating and retaining a high performing team with the necessary skills and expertise to deliver high quality services now and in the future
• Developing and implementing strategies and systems in order to ensure value for money is achieved for all council spend
• Managing relationships with key corporate suppliers and partners to deliver value for money from contracts
• Driving continuous improvement and reviewing work programmes to ensure that the service provides flexibility across its disciplines
Applications should be by CV and covering letter.
Closing date for applications: 5th November 2018.
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 21 November 2018